ERC –ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT COURSE
2 Day course with online study material
Why should you attend the European Resuscitation Council ALS course?
- The ERC Advanced Life Support course is an innovative 2 days Course for doctors and other -medical health care professionals that are involved in the acute care of critically ill patients.
- ERC – ALS provides state-of-the-art Advanced Life Support training with a strong focus on team work and non-technical skills.
- The ERC ALS is a hands-on course and candidates spend 85 % of their time working practically in scenario-based workshops.
- Candidates are trained in small groups resembling Medical Emergency Teams (cardiac arrest teams )
- This is the only internationally accredited Life support course available in Sri Lanka
The European Resuscitation Advanced Life Support (ALS) provider course is based on latest ERC guidelines. The ALS course teaches the theory and the practical skills required to prevent and treat cardiopulmonary arrest in adults. The ALS provider course lasts two days and is very intensive.
The ALS course has been designed to reflect changes in resuscitation education. The focus for learning is based on adult learning principles; the role of the lecture has been de-emphasized and the use of small group teaching has been increased. This course will prepare senior members of a multi-disciplinary team to manage peri-arrest situations and to treat the patient until transfer to a critical care area. The complexity and management of cardiac arrest situations, including decision making and effective communication with the team and the patient’s relatives, is included. Competence in Basic Life support is a prerequisite.
The ALS course teaches the knowledge and skills required to:
- Recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using a structured ABCDE approach
- Treat cardiac and/or respiratory arrest, including starting CPR, manual defibrillation, life threatening arrhythmias, and post resuscitation care
- Care for the deteriorating patient or patient in cardiac and/or respiratory arrest in special circumstances such as anaphylaxis, and pregnancy
- Lead a team, work as a team member, and use structured communication skills including giving an effective handover.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who would be expected to apply the skills taught as part of their clinical duties, or involve in resuscitation training.
Appropriate participants would be doctors and nurses working in acute care areas (e.g. ICU, HDU, OT, A & E, CCU, medical /surgical admissions units) or members of cardiac arrest / medical emergency team.
All applicants must preferably hold a current clinical appointment and professional healthcare qualification, or be in training for a professional healthcare qualification.
Since we have limited vacancies preference may be given to PGIM Trainees, Those who have done the local ALS/ILS courses or ERC ILS.
ERC ALS course manual can be downloaded from the ERC COSY once we add the candidate to ERC course system at least one month prior to the course date. Candidates can also access the Virtual Learning Environment VLE ( about 30 hour online study) . Pre- course MCQ should be completed online before the dead line.
It is expected that all candidates are competent in BLS (CPR) and this must be achieved prior to attending the ALS course.
The ALS course has a high ratio of instructors to candidates (1: 3). The course includes core lectures and interactive workshops. The face-to-face teaching is mainly delivered in small groups with hands-on practical skill stations and clinically-based simulations.
Demonstrations introduce the concept of role-play and simulated cardiac arrest management, assessment of the critically ill patient, shockable / non-shockable algorithms, positive critiquing, and team leadership skills.
The simulations are designed to develop team and communication skills using the resuscitation skills and knowledge acquired during the course.
- ALS Treatment Algorithm
- BLS & Safe Defibrillation
- Assessment of a deteriorating patient- ABCDE approach
- Cardiac arrest simulation management
Modular training – skill stations.
- Airway management & IO access
- BLS and Defibrillation
- ABCDE approach to deteriorating patient
- Cardiac Arrest Management (CASTeach) including post resuscitation care & end of life care decision.
- Cardiac arrest in special circumstances.
- ECG Monitoring, Rhythm Recognition .
- Tachycardia & cardiversion.
- Bradycardia & pacing.
- Arterial blood gases & capnography
Assessment and certification
Continuous assessment occurs throughout the ALS course, which is based on clinical simulations that allow candidates to demonstrate the core competencies that have been taught on the course. These include airway management, initial assessment and resuscitation and cardiac arrest management. A final assessment of candidates at the end of the course takes the form of management of a cardiac arrest simulation and a multiple choice questionnaire.
Successful candidates receive a European Resuscitation Council (ERC) ALS Provider certificate, which is valid for 4 years.
The ALS course is recognised for continuing professional development.
Those who perform outstandingly well on an ALS course and, in the view of the course faculty, show potential as future instructors, will be offered the opportunity of attending a ERC Generic Instructor Course (GIC).
It is to be understood that the scenarios to which the course exposes candidates and faculty to may induce lapses and errors in performance. Because of these issues all present must maintain strict confidentiality regarding individual performance and the performance of others to within the course.
While free to discuss in general terms the technical and behavioral skills acquired and maintained during the course, there is a requirement to maintain strict confidentiality regarding the specific candidate and faculty performance to which you are both directly and indirectly exposed.
Discussion and documentation of candidate performance by course faculty is for the purposes of the course and professional purposes only.
How to get registered
- Since we have limited vacancies preference may be given to college members or those who are nominated by other professional colleges or those who have performed well at the ILS & ALS courses conducted by the college of Anaesthesiologists & Intensivists of Sri Lanka,
- Fill the online ERC -ALS candidate application form @ ( www.resuslanka.org)
- Applicant will receive an e- mail /phone call with the registration status. Once the registration status is confirmed can proceed with the payment.
- Course Fee :
i. Rs 25000.00 - Sri Lankans working in Sri Lanka ( discount will be given for those who have done the local ALS) ii. Rs 30,000.00 - Sri Lankans working overseas iii. 250 $ - SAARC countries) iii. 300$ -Others
Course fee covers the cost of course manual, access – to the ERC vertual learning environment ( VLE) 30 hour precourse online learning, administration costs, lunch and refreshments throughout the course duration.
*Once the payment is completed, access to online learning material will be activated.
Method of payment
Course fee can be paid to any branch of the Bank of Ceylon to the credit of Current Account no. 0077426711 ( BOC-Regent Street) of The College of Anaesthesiologists & Intensivists of Sri Lanka.
(You can also do online -internet bank transfer to the above account)
|Bank||Bank of Ceylon|
|Account Name||College of Anaesthesiologists of Sri Lanka-CPR|
|Instructions to the bank||Enter –“ surname with initials’ & ‘ERC-ALS’ – in the deposit slip and ask the Bank to enter reference details in the electronic data system of the bank|
|Scan copy||Please email the scan copy (or photo from a smart phone) of the bank pay slip duly endorsed by the bank to email@example.com|
Please keep the original bank slip , which need to be produced at the registration desk.
For clarifications please contact – Tel: (+94) 11 267 2327 , +94 777357533 .
ERC- ALS Courses 2018
|Date||Course||Course Center||Course director|
|21.03.2018-22.03.2018||Wen-Thurs||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|23.03.2018-24.03.2018||Fri-Sat||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|11.07.2018-12.07.2018||Wen-Thurs||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|13.07.2018-14.07.2018||Fri -Sat||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|12.09.2018- 13.09.2018||Wen-Thurs||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|14.09.2018-15.09.2018||Fri-Sat||ERC ALS||CLINMARC- NHSL
|Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
For more information : Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org