ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT COURSE
One Day course
COLLEGE OF ANAESTHESIOLOGISTS & INTENSIVISTS OF SRI LANKA
This one day ALS Program (incorporating online content) based on ERC guidelines, will provide the health practitioner with an opportunity to undertake a structured course conducive to learning, which will assist in the achievement of ALS competency.
This ALS course could meet the requirements of those who need more comprehensive advanced skills than those taught during BLS & ILS courses.
- How to recognize and treat a deteriorating patient using a structured A B C D E approach.
- How to manage cardiac arrests – [Confirm Cardiac Arrest , Effective chest compressions , Safe manual defibrillation, Identify life threatening arrhythmia and Immediate post resuscitation care]
- Air way management & assisted ventilation
- Lead a team, work as a team member, and use structured communication skills including giving an effective handover.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who would be expected to apply the skills taught as part of their clinical duties, or involve in resuscitation training..
Appropriate participants include doctors and nurses working in critical care areas (e.g. ICU, HDU, OT, A & E, CCU, medical admissions units) or members of the cardiac arrest / medical emergency team.
Medical students, nurses and other healthcare providers not covered in the groups above are encouraged to complete the ERC Immediate Life Support (ILS) course. See: http://resuslanka.org/immediate-life-support-ils-course/
The course manual & study material is available for online access to the candidate with secure login upon registration and the candidate is strongly advised to study this thoroughly before completing pre-course multiple-choice questionnaire (MCQ). This pre-course assessment provides a baseline measure upon which new learning can be evaluated and it should be completed without reference to the manual.
Online course material at own pace need to be completed before attending one day face-to-face ALS course.
*** Please note that we prefer to activate the access to the online study material for the registered candidates at least one month prior to the course.
If you do not get the link to access the online study material 3 weeks prior to the course after the payment – Please call 0777 357533
Total time excluding refreshment breaks & lunch -08 hours (07:30 – 17:30)
How it is taught?
The ALS course has a high ratio of instructors to candidates (1: 3). The face-to-face teaching is mainly delivered in small groups with hands-on practical skill stations and clinically-based simulations. The simulations are designed to develop team and communication skills using the resuscitation skills and knowledge acquired during the course.
Lectures (complemented by online study material)
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) in perspective.
- ALS Treatment algorithm.
- ABCDE approach to deteriorating patient.
- BLS & Safe defibrillation.
- Cardiac arrest simulation.
Practical skill stations and simulations
- ABCDE approach to deteriorating patient.
- BLS & safe defibrillation.
- Air way & IO access.
- Cardiac Arrest Management (CASTeach).
Workshops (complemented by online study material)
- Soft ( Non technical ) skills
- Tachycardia & cardioversion.
- Bradycardia & pacing.
Online course material
- Causes and Prevention of Cardiac Arrest.
- Cardiac arrest in special circumstances.
- Acute coronary syndrome.
- Post resuscitation care.
- Communication in emergencies.
- End of life care decisions
- Air way & breathing.
- Intra-osseous access.
- Arterial blood gas analysis & capnography.
Assessment and certification
Continuous assessment occurs throughout the ALS course, which is based on clinical simulations that allow candidates to demonstrate the core competencies that have been taught on the course. These include airway management, initial assessment and resuscitation, BLS & safe defibrillation and cardiac arrest management. A final assessment of candidates takes the form of management of a cardiac arrest simulation (CAS) and a multiple choice questionnaire.
- If candidate is not successful in MCQ ( < 75%) , but pass all other components will receive the ALS certificate upon completion of the MCQ within 6 months.
- If candidate is not successful at the CAS Test ( 2 attempts ) have to repeat the course to receive ALS certificate
- Successful candidates will receive an ALS Provider certificate, which is valid for 4 years.
- Those who are not up to the ALS standards, may receive ILS certificate
- The ALS course is recognized for continuing professional development (CPD).
- Those who perform outstandingly well on an ALS -Sri Lankan courses may be offered the opportunity of attending a European Resuscitation Council 2 day Advanced Life Support course.
How to register?
- Fill the online ALS candidate application form. <<Click Here to apply online>>
- Applicant will receive system generated copy of own application (google sheet ) provided the email you entered is correct
- Then we will send an e- mail requesting you to pay with our bank details if vacancies exists & you are eligible to do ALS.
- Once the registration status is confirmed, applicant can proceed with the payment.
- Once the payment is completed, online login access to learning material will be granted.
- Course Fee : Rs 3500
- Course fee covers the cost of online course material including the course manual, administration costs, lunch and refreshments throughout the course duration.
Method of payment:
Course fee of 3500 Rs can be paid to any branch of the Bank of Ceylon to the credit of Account no. 0077426711 of The College of Anaesthesiologists & Intensivists of Sri Lanka.
|Bank||Bank of Ceylon|
|Account Name||College of Anaesthesiologists of Sri Lanka-CPR|
|Instructions to the bank||Enter –“ surname with initials’ & ‘ALS- Sri Lanka ’ – in the deposit slip and ask the Bank to be enter above details in the electronic data system of the bank|
|Scan copy||please e-mail the scanned copy (or photo from a smart phone) of the duplicate of the bank payment slip to email@example.com|
*Please keep the original receipt, which need to be produced at the registration desk.
Training center -College of Anaesthesiologists & Intensivists of Sri Lanka No 437/1C, Cotta Road, Rajagiriya. ( Opposite the Green Cabin-Rajagiriya)
No Parking at the Venue
For clarifications please contact – Tel: (+94) 11 267 2327 or 0777 357533
|2||22.04.2021||Thurs||Dr. Haritha Dharmakeerthi|
|3||23.04.2021||Fri||Dr. Dimuthu Gunasena|
|4||24.04.2020||Sat||Dr. Chamila Jayasekera|
|5||19.05.2021||Wed||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|6||20.05.2021||Thurs||Dr. Lakmali Samaraweera|
|7||21.05.2021||Fri||Dr. Gita Jayathilake|
|8||22.05.2021||Sat||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|9||07.06.2021||Mon||Dr. Malin Gunawardena|
|10||08.06.2021||Tues||Dr. Buddhika Vidanagama|
|11||25.06.2021||Fri||Dr. Mithrajee Premaratne|
|12||26.06.2021||Sat||Dr. Chamila Jayasekera|
|13||15.07.2021||Thurs||Dr. Malin Gunawardena|
|14||16.07.2021||Fri||Dr. Bimal Kudavidanage|