ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT COURSE
One Day course
COLLEGE OF ANAESTHESIOLOGISTS & INTENSIVISTS OF SRI LANKA
This one day ALS Program (incorporating online content) based on ERC guidelines, will provide the health practitioner with an opportunity to undertake a structured course conducive to learning, which will assist in the achievement of ALS competency.
This ALS course could meet the requirements of those who need more comprehensive advanced skills than those taught during BLS & ILS courses.
The ALS course teaches the knowledge and skills required to:
- Recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using a structured A B C D E approach.
- Treat cardiac arrest in special circumstances, including starting CPR, manual defibrillation, life threatening arrhythmias, and post resuscitation care.
- Lead a team, work as a team member, and use structured communication skills including giving an effective handover.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who would be expected to apply the skills taught as part of their clinical duties, or involve in resuscitation training..
Appropriate participants include doctors and nurses working in critical care areas (e.g. ICU, HDU, OT,
A & E, CCU, medical admissions units) or on the cardiac arrest / medical emergency team.
All applicants must hold a current clinical appointment and professional healthcare qualification, or be in training for a professional healthcare qualification.
Medical students, nurses and other healthcare providers not covered in the groups above should be encouraged to complete the Immediate Life Support (ILS) course. Those with a particular interest in resuscitation should then consider attending an ALS provider course, where appropriate. Medical students in their final year of training can be accepted as candidates on an ALS course if this is an established local arrangement.
The course manual & study material is available for online access to the candidate with secure login upon registration and the candidate is strongly advised to study this thoroughly before completing pre-course multiple-choice questionnaire (MCQ). This pre-course assessment provides a baseline
measure upon which new learning can be evaluated and it should be completed without reference to the manual.
Online course material at own pace need to be completed before attending one day face-to-face ALS course.
It is expected that all candidates are competent in BLS (CPR) and this must be achieved prior to attending the ALS course. (Priority may be given to those who have attended the Immediate Life Support courses)
Total time excluding refreshment breaks & lunch -08 hours (07:30 – 17:30)
How it is taught?
The ALS course has a high ratio of instructors to candidates (1: 3). The face-to-face teaching is mainly delivered in small groups with hands-on practical skill stations and clinically-based simulations. The simulations are designed to develop team and communication skills using the resuscitation skills and knowledge acquired during the course.
Lectures (complemented by online study material)
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) in perspective.
- ALS Treatment algorithm.
- ABCDE approach to deteriorating patient.
- BLS & Safe defibrillation.
- Cardiac arrest simulation.
Practical skill stations and simulations
- ABCDE approach to deteriorating patient.
- BLS & safe defibrillation.
- Air way & IO access.
- Cardiac Arrest Management (CASTeach).
Workshops (complemented by online study material)
- Soft ( Non technical ) skills
- Tachycardia & cardioversion.
- Bradycardia & pacing.
Online course material
- Causes and Prevention of Cardiac Arrest.
- Cardiac arrest in special circumstances.
- Acute coronary syndrome.
- Post resuscitation care.
- Communication in emergencies.
- End of life care decisions
- Air way & breathing.
- Intra osseous access.
- Arterial blood gas analysis & capnography.
Assessment and certification
Continuous assessment occurs throughout the ALS course, which is based on clinical simulations that allow candidates to demonstrate the core competencies that have been taught on the course. These include airway management, initial assessment and resuscitation, BLS & safe defibrillation and cardiac arrest management. A final assessment of candidates takes the form of management of a cardiac arrest simulation (CAS) and a multiple choice questionnaire.
Successful candidates will receive an ALS Provider certificate, which is valid for 4 years.
The ALS course is recognized for continuing professional development (CPD).
Those who perform outstandingly well on an ALS -Sri Lankan courses may be offered the opportunity of attending a European Resuscitation Council 2 day Advanced Life Support course.
It is to be understood that the scenarios to which the course exposes candidates and faculty to may induce lapses and errors in performance. Because of these issues all present must maintain strict confidentiality regarding individual performance and the performance of others to within the course. While free to discuss in general terms the technical and behavioral skills acquired and maintained during the course, there is a requirement to maintain strict confidentiality regarding the specific candidate and faculty performance to which you are both directly and indirectly exposed.
Discussion and documentation of candidate performance by faculty is for the purposes of the course and professional purposes only.
How to get registered?
- Fill the online ALS candidate application form.
- Applicant will receive an e- mail with the registration status. Once the registration status is confirmed, applicant can proceed with the payment.
- Once the payment is completed, online login access to learning material will be granted.
- Course Fee : Rs 7000 ( 2500 Rs @ Registration <<we will notify by emails eligible candidates >>& 4500 Rs to the course center on the course date.)
- Course fee covers the cost of online course material including the course manual, administration costs, lunch and refreshments throughout the course duration.
- Method of payment: course fee can be paid to any branch of the Bank of Ceylon or
As online/Internet bank transfer.
|Bank||Bank of Ceylon|
|Account Name||College of Anaesthesiologists of Sri Lanka-CPR|
|Account number||We will email details if you are selected as a candidate|
|Instructions to the bank||Enter –“surname with initials’ & ‘ALS Colombo – on the deposit slip & ask the bank officer to enter above reference details in the electronic data system of the bank|
|Scan copy||please email the scanned copy (or photograph from a smart phone) of the duplicate of the paying slip to firstname.lastname@example.org|
Refund policy – 60% of the course fee could be refunded if unable to attend the course with prior notice of at least 2 weeks if you have accessed and completed > 60% of the online study material.
Please keep the original receipt, which need to be produced at the registration desk.
For clarifications please contact – Tel: (+94) 11 267 2327 or the course director.